Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Saving the World



















2 weeks ago I had asked a question to a few people this time, a question I guess everyone overlooks or wouldn't bother answering at first glance. It is not a simple one to answer, some might take a considerable amount of time to think about it, which is why I wasn't expecting a huge response this time. The responses I did get, went beyond my expectations!

Question : "If you had the power, what would YOU would do to make the world a better place?"

Thanks for the answers everyone!It truly is amazing how differently we all think.Enjoy the read and feel free to comment.





















"If I had the power, I would BOOGIE, because name me one person who isn't happy when they are mindlessly dancing away to nothing!
But on a more serious note, I think everyone has THE power, because a wise man once said, 'Change the world, one person at a time. Why not start with yourself?'" -
Anonymous















"Something to remove ourselves from the dependence of fossil fuels, an alternative an clean energy source. Introduce equity amongst all and reduce the rich-poor divide, although it sounds really communistic :p" - Jeff Yeoh















"first i'll hang all the abusers, rapist, terrorists n back stabbers (esp men, sori not being sexist but sometimes we r left wif no choice)....den il sentence those who are judgmental til death....den il solve poverty and any issues related to child, women, disabled, old and needy people....finally ill help to spread love and peace...hehehehe....." - Kiren Kaur















"I believe a lot of problems today exist because of a lack of communication and a lack of cultural understanding. I want to bridge gaps and show that we are all the same on the inside no matter how different we are on the outside.
I think the media is to blame for a lot of it...and i have been thinking for several years now..to start making short films..documentaries...as they make a huge impact on the viewers compared to other medium of communication.
This is where i relate it to the first question, in 20 years i want to be financially stable so that i can have the power to do such things, to be able to bring some change.
I dont know how else i can answer the question Pman...
The other reason we have problems is the lack of education. This is a serious issue and i think is the root problem anywhere. Building schools and strong curriculum is also very important and i hope..i hope...we can actually do this."
- Mohammed Ehaab


"I will stop people from having more than 2 babies!

Less people... less waste!
Less people... less poverty!
Less people... less problems!
Less people... less hunger!

and the list carries on!

And of course, keep your needs to a minimum and you will be happy"
- Alex Garces
















"I would make a person think about and do stuff for the benefit of other people instead of for his or her own benefit." -Ubaid Ali Qadri















"I will take add one more into humans... COMMONSENSE!" - Joy Ganesan
















"I would throw all flowery thoughts of prayer and being devout aside. It doesn't seem to be working guys (no insult, honest).
Instead, if I had the power, all I would do was to take into account each of the areas most frequently affected or at least from a geological point of view, at risk and improve or implement infrastructures for safety (e.g. safe ouses for typhoons/cyclones and proper building infrastructure to better withstands earthquakes. Expensive I know, but you said I had the power.
My next move would be not as drastic. It is already something I am in the midst of doing. Being civic minded, honest and just. This is something that I believe does not come from those high up in the social chain. This is something that must begin at ground level. I am ground level. So are you. We should all work on these issues to make any country a better, more honest and pleasant place to live in because if we've in Hell, we might as well work together and build an air-conditioner. My 2 cents."
- Wayne Chua





















"I want to make schools for the disadvantaged and the less privileged children around the world." - Anonymous








2 comments:

Sarath said...

Hi... I am Sarath. We met in Currie hall about 3 years back. I was one of the Indian Interns. Just stumbled upon ur blog. Okay, here is what i think.

I would encourage ppl to think freely and find out the truth. Thinking should not be influenced by external factors like ur educational curriculum, ur responsibilities at work etc. What is going on with all of us today in the world? Who is calling all the shots that affect our daily lives? And, I believe, reading the bible would answer some of these questions!

pman said...

Hi Sarath, Yes I remember you very well. How've you been? and what are you upto these days?

I am pleased to see you read my blog and voiced your opinion. I totally agree on the point that thinking should not be influenced by external factors.

I think you'll find my next post quite interesting, I'll email it to you, once I have arranged it. Thanks, stay in touch! :)